incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Download stats script (in progress)
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 04:10:32 GMT
On Friday, 11. May 2012 at 05:06, Rob Weir wrote:
> SourceForge has a nice REST API to query for download stats and return
> them in JSON objections. Unfortunately, our directory structure for
> AOO 3.4 is rather odd, with English downloads in one place,
> translations in another directory, and mixing hashes, installs and
> languages packs altogether. So getting these stats is a little
> painful. You can't just get the numbers of a single directory and be
> done. It is more complicated than that.

I noticed this as well and I have also thought about a script or app to collect them ;-) good
that you already have started...

> Also, the SF API seems to be rate limited, or at least I'm getting
> errors if I query it too much. That's understandable.
>
> So.... I'm coding a simple download stats app, in python, that will
> collect together all the relevant stats and produce reports. It
> caches on disk JSON objects that have already been retrieved, which
> eliminates the throttling issues as well as greatly improves
> performance.
>
> Not quite done, but I'll check it in (where?)
mmh good question,

Maybe we can integrate a download counter in the webpage. Something that gets automatically
updated hourly or twice a day.

> when it is fully
> debugged and validated. My goal is to have solid numbers for the one
> week mark next Tuesday. And from what I'm seeing so far, the numbers
> will be amazing.
>

> But two quick questions to help me finish this:
>
> 1) Historically, what did OOo report as "downloads"? Was this just a
> count of full installs? Or language packs as well?

I don't know but I assume full install sets . I would like to detailed numbers as much as
possible.

> 2) It is easy to produce downloads by language and platform, since our
> installs are already defined that way. But I can also report
> per-country. Is that interesting to anyone? For example, in Canada,
> the most popular downloads are X, Y, Z.

again I would like to have detailed numbers. We can produce nice statistics and graphs ;-)

Juergen