incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1336368 - /incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/hu/brand.mdtext
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 19:06:18 GMT

On May 10, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Juan C. Sanz wrote:

> El 10/05/2012 20:36, Dave Fisher escribió:

used with UTF16 to determine whether the two bytes of each 16-bit code are big-endian or little-endian.
 Some products (including Windows Notepad) also put a BOM on the front of UTF8 streams.  Some
software is hostile to it being there, other software accepts it and recognizes the following
code as UTF8 anyhow. You ran into a hostile case.

as a character), and you are on Windows, you need a text editor that doesn't produce them
and also discards any that it encounters.

will work for.  It is a Java application, available on SourceForge.  The Windows version of
gedit will also save text in UTF8.  That probably doesn't produce a BOM.  (It is difficult
to know if one is there or not without looking at the beginning of the file in a hex editor/viewer.)
>>> My copy of Notepad++ (v5.9) has the following Encoding Menu options:
>>>
>>> Encode in ANSI
>>> Encode in UTF-8 without BOM
>>> Encode in UTF-8
>>> Convert to ANSI
>>> Convert to UTF-8 without BOM
>>> Convert to UTF-8
>> Thanks! I've added a note to http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html
> In the note you say "If you use Notepad on WIndows you have several options for saving
or converting to UTF. Choose the "UTF-8 without BOM" option" but this is not an option in
notepad (at least in mine) but in Notepad++ which is not the windows one.

Oops, I misread. Let's think about this a bit Notepad is dangerous, but inevitable.

There is a perl routine: read_text_file in https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/build/lib/ASF/Util.pm

# utility for parsing txt files with headers in them

# and passing the args along to a hashref (in 2nd arg)

sub read_text_file {

If that can be taught to handle the BOM then we won't care.

(I'm removing my note.)

Regards,
Dave