incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Feedback on the CMS
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 18:29:08 GMT
Hi Joe,

On May 11, 2012, at 11:18 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> With 1100 builds so far the ooo-site CMS instance
> is only 350 builds behind www.apache.org as the
> most-used CMS tree so far.  I monitor the CMS logs
> daily to evaluate usage and this project publishes
> about as often as all our other projects combined,
> which really makes me wonder where we'd be here if
> the org had never created the CMS in the first place.

I wonder too, but it would have been very painful.

The enhancements made to the build process over the last year have made this use possible.

> The ooo-site is far and away the largest instance at
> over 9GB total.  The reason I'm writing here is to
> ask general questions about user satisfaction with
> the CMS:
>
> 1) Is there any aspect of the CMS that needs immediate
>    improvement?

I would like read_text_file to be able to handle BOM characters without issue.

> 2) Are you satisfied with the workflow, or are there areas
>    that could stand improvement?

Pretty much am.

> 3) Is there anything that should be done to encourage more
>    users who are not committers to use the CMS to submit patches
>    to the list?

Direct submission of the patch to BZ or JIRA including name, etc.
Configured on a project by project basis.

> 4) Are there any UI features you'd like to see implemented,
>    either in the web interface or the publication script?

Warnings when

(a) a staging build is in process.
(b) when the  change is in lib or templates and might require more than an instant to stage.

> Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer a few of these!

You're welcome.

Regards,
Dave