incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Yong Lin Ma <mayo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hi
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 15:13:09 GMT
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<lsuarezpotts@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 4 May 2012 09:52, Yong Lin Ma <mayongl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>> I raised earlier off list the idea of (re-)forming a language group focused on
ZH localization and operating to support Chinese speakers and those based in Beijing (or wherever
it makes sense).  We did this in OOo, and it worked …not as well as any of us would have
liked. But that was because a single company dominated--a less than desirable situation.

>> Yes, other than covered by different license, not dominated by a
>> single company is the major difference between AOO and OO.o.
>>

>>> The idea, this time around, would be to have members of CS2C, IBM and other organizations
(and I can think of a few) to have a place to coordinate, learn, communicate in Chinese while
also working with the Apache OO lists in English. Localization would be essential. (ZH in
China differs from that used in TW; that can be accommodated: this is a linguistic effort,
mostly.)

>> It would be not necessary, if this is just for IBM and CS2C teams in
>> Beijing. Cause it would be more effective for the two teams to have
>> conference calls or meet in person.
>
> <snip>
>
> I don't exactly disagree with you but I was unclear. I did not mean to
> usurp the Apache Way or the merits of being a commiter nor the path by
> which one becomes one. Rather, I wanted to avoid the problem facing
> the establishment of regional and linguistic groups. That problem is
> having one or even two companies dominate the effort. Sometimes that's
> unavoidable. But if it can be the case that other companies and
> organizations can be involved, then great. And if such involvement is
> made more likely by having publicly accessible informational projects,
> which are open to all comers and which *do not* usurp the Apache Way
> but rather supplement it, then, as far as I can tell, that's good.
> (Indeed, having conference calls between one company and another seems
> to reinscribe the problem of having one company dominate, and it
> further turns a linguistic effort into a very localized one that's
> also exclusive.)

Louis,
Thank you for the clarification. When I say conference  call here, I
mean call between contributors instead of companies. And it is only
for speeding up communication and not for making important decisions in private.

And I don't worry about an Apache project may get dominated by single
company, due to the diversity requirement on PPMC members.
I am  new to ASF. Maybe someone know examples that Apache project got
dominated and failed.