incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 16:13:33 GMT
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Yong Lin Ma <mayongl@apache.org> wrote:
> We are close to starting the graduation process. But I think we need
> give the project more time to demonstrate the ability to
>
> Create an Apache Release
> AOO 3.4 is an real achievement. But the major issue it solved are due
> to legal concerns.  It has improvement in SVG just because we are
> lucky to have Armin with us.
> It is still early to say that the project is ready to get to next release.
> We need at least
> Close a couple of new feature cycles. Propose and discuss about new
> features -> spec review -> design review -> implementation -> QE sign
> off
> See a steady defect fix rate.

I think you misunderstand what Apache Incubation is.   There is no
requirement that we first establish a "steady defect rate" or show
that we have a process for design reviews, or any other such project
technical concerns.

The two primary goals of incubation are:

1) Ensure the initial code contribution is reviewed and brought into
conformance with Apache policy.  We did that.

2) Ensure that the community is working well, per The Apache Way and
other relevant Apache guidelines and policies.   We're doing that.

With healthy code and a healthy community we'll naturally develop
additional processes within the project.  That is a normal evolution
and part of any Top Level Project at Apache.

> Create an Open and Diverse community
> We need more committers. There still no committer from C2SC.

Are there any contributions yet from C2SC?  If there are, then by all
means, review them and if they are of good quality, then propose them
for becoming committers.  It would be a graduation issue if we had
volunteers making sustained contributions but we failed to make them
committers.  That would mean we were not open.  But I don't see that
happening.