incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving Category-B tarballs (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process)
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 21:05:11 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks Andre!
>
> On 05/30/12 04:34, Andre Fischer wrote:

>> But the binary builds have to come from somewhere.  Unless we want to drop
>> the features for which we need category-B libraries then making it harder to
>> build them is IMHO not the right way to go.
>>
>> But maybe moving the offending libraries to another server would be a
>> first step?  If you find a server and copy the files over then I am willing
>> to adapt the scripts accordingly.
>>

> I took your offer and I placed them here so we can play with them:
>
> http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-extras/downloads/list
>
> (If any Apache committer wants access, like to add the mysql connector or
> the old wordperfect/buildreporter libraries, let me know in private your
> google-compatible address).
>
> I moved placed the OFL fonts there but IMHO those can stay as
> they are binaries. I think before removing the copyleft libraries
> from the server we should discontinue the category B flag in
> the buildbot (we can use it for releases of course).

You can copy the category-b binaries someplace else, but you must not
remove the ones that are already here.  Otherwise you will break not
only the buildbots, but you will also break every one who has
downloaded the source from our 3.4 release.   You'll need to wait for
a 3.4.1 release (at least) before you think of removing them.   Or, as
an alternative, you could work with Infra on some redirect rules to
handle the requests for the 3.4.0 ext_sources.

And shouldn't the buldbots be building what we intend to release?   I
could see alternating builds, with and without the category-b flag.
But the direction forward should be to enable te capability to spin
releases from the buildbots.  Your suggestion would move us further
away from that.

-Rob