incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Blows Past 1M Downloads
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 12:26:33 GMT
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 12:52 +0800, Yue Helen wrote:
>> Woooo...a great milestone! Congratulations!
>> BTW, is there a page/tool we can get the latest download number?
>
>        Sure - it's public on the sourceforge page; it's also filter-able, so
> you can easily see the download number for eg. the first week, by
> searching from the release date until one week later:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline?dates=2012-05-08+to+2012-05-14

If only it were that simple.   But it is a bit more complicated then
that, since the SF numbers are UTC and we released mid-day on the 8th,
but were also offering downloads on the 7th.

That URL is also not distinguishing downloads of language packs and
downloads of full installs.  It munges stuff together.  The one
million number is for downloads of full installs, not including the
other stuff.

You also need to account for the data feed being delay.  For example,
it is currently 9 hours behind, but this varies.

Since the full installs are scattered through several directories, and
inter-mixed with hash files, the only way I've been able to get an
accurate count of the downloads is to use the SourceForge REST API to
query stats for each of the installs separately and then add them up.
This is easy to automate in the language of your choice.

-Rob