incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incorrect Information About AOO 3.4
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 16:19:17 GMT
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 10:22 -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> Bah.. Drew got ahead of me :-P.
>>
>> Guy, perhaps you can help us clean this old database?
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Marketing/entreprises.html#france
>>
>> just let me know what to drop, I feel like grinding my axe today ;).
>
> Cool - I love a sharp axe, brings out the Norsk in me.
>
> I believe it would be best then to simply remove the page.
>
> 1 - better then trying to pick winners and losers, friend and foe, in
> the commercial world.
>
> 2 - ASF projects, from what I gather, do not do end user marketing or
> business development, just code. It is the apache way IMO and feel
> strongly now that this project should be no different.

There is a difference between the project doing business development
and the project helping users find relevant resources to help them be
more productive with OpenOffice.

In other words, the opposite of "picking winners and losers, friend
and foe, in the commercial world" is not necessarily to pretend the
commercial world does not exist.  The opposite is to acknowledge that
it exists, that it can be useful, but to have proper disclaimers that
the user is informed that these are 3rd parties, not endorsed by the
project.

That said, I look at this old consultant lists, and think of them
similar to the old CD distribution site.  They are outdated and likely
to confuse users more than help them.  Better to take them down now,
but continue the conversation on whether and how we might have such a
list in the future. My mind is not made up on that yet.  But I'm
tending to think that any consultant who actually has a business
related to OpenOffice should be easy to find via Google using obvious
keywords.

> Same for the other NL sites, yes I've looked at a bunch...There is a lot
> to remove from the education pages also, lots of links to outside
> organizations, dead email list links and the like.
>
> Shall we start the culling then - and let the chips fall where they may?

I did this a while ago, but I can repeat.  It is easy enough to scan
the ooo-site directory for openoffice.org email addresses.  Since
these are all dead now, this would give a list of occurrences of dead
email addresses.

There are "dead link" checkers we can run on the entire website, if we
want, that will also report on dead internal links and will spider
across ooo-site, wiki, forums, issues, everything in openoffice.org
domain.

Also, and this is less resource intensive:  I can provide a list of
links that Google reports as dead on the website, based on their
scanning.  They don't check email addresses, however, but only
http/https URL's.

-Rob