incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance!
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 12:10:53 GMT
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> Thanks Imacat,
>
> This was originally posted to the private list so as not to offend
> some of our more sensitive list subscribers. However, some useful
> discussion started looking at why the graphs looked like they did. I,
> as a mentor, requested that it be moved here so that everyone, could
> benefit from the discussion. Imacat did not post all comments, only
> the link that was the catalyst, since they were made in private, it's
> up to others to bring their constructive thoughts here.
>
> I think I see a potential for collaboration between the various ODF
> related projects here.
>
> Can a few sample documents be created which produce graphs showing
> better performance in other ODF products? Michael, you say they can do
> that for LO, I invite you to do so. Such documents would help AOO
> developers explore weakness in AOO code.
>
> At the same time AOO could provide documents that demonstrate better
> AOO performance. These will help other projects explore weaknesses in
> their own  code.
>
> RANDOM THOUGHT: are there any ODF test documents that might serve this purpose?

Another idea:  the blog post also indicates that AOO 3.4 uses less RAM
than LO:  35Mb versus 43MB.   This might be related to the start up
performance difference.  But since neither product has made radical
changes to internal memory structures, any difference in memory
consumption is probably related to what libraries are loaded at
startup.  That should be easier to track down.

Also, a comparison of AOO 3.4 versus OOo 3.3.0 would indicate whether
we're dealing with a coding improvement in AOO 3.4 or a regression in
LO.  Whatever the result,  that gives useful information that can be
used to improve performance.

-Rob