incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Troll warning
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 14:49:16 GMT
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>> If you forward me links I'll make sure the TDF Membership Committee takes a look.
>
> What are LO advocates doing on this list?. Just curious....
>
> http://webmink.com/2012/02/19/libreoffice-video/
>
> Where it says "OpenOffice's succesor, LibreOffice...."
>
> Let me get this straight, the forkers destroyed StarOffice, spit
> Oracle in the face then invited them for dinner (to join TDF), then
> they get upset that Oracle does not comply with their demands, they
> nevertheless go ahead with their fork, and when OpenOffice is donated
> to Apache and continues having the brand recognition, the mind share
> and the majority of downloads on the Windows platform, are we supposed
> to  play nice and friendly with people who can't promote their fork
> without comparing themselves to Apache OO and some even spread lies
> all the time?

Well, yes.  We're supposed to be nice, even when others are spreading
FUD and trying to derail the project.

Of course, none of our saints, and even fewer of us are martyrs, so
individually there is only so much abuse anyone of us is going to put
up with.  But as a project we must remain open and welcoming to all,
especially to LibreOffice volunteers.

That doesn't mean we need to agree with the FUD, or let misstatements
go unaddressed.  It just means we need to handle it in a calm,
professional, non-argumentative way.  For example, we can collect the
top-10 erroneous statements about AOO on the wiki and prepare a blog
post to respond to them.

And this is not just about being "nice".  This is also the most
pragmatic thing to do.   There are a small number of active, vocal and
negative people at LibreOffice who like to beat up on OpenOffice and
the work we do here.  They make a lot of noise, but 90% of their FUD
just expired when AOO 3.4 was released.  And the remainder of their
FUD will expire in a week or two when Symphony is contributed to
Apache.   So it is almost not worth arguing with them at this point,
since they are "still fighting the last war".  We need to move on, and
talk about AOO 4.0, and the things that will really excite our users.

-Rob