incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 16:40:24 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:18 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> last week I gave a talk about OpenOffice on the LinuxTag conference in
> Berlin.

Cool.   It is a nice conference.  I presented there in 2010.

> The attendance was moderate and I got the bad first slot in the morning
> 10:00am after the LinuxTag party on Thursday ;-) It was an interesting
> interruption of my vacation.

But probably better than having the last speaking slot before the party ;-)

> My main goal was to express that OpenOffice was never dead and the
> project have found a new home at Apache. I highlighted our achievements
> and of course our release as important milestone. Presenting our nice
> download numbers was also a pleasure for me ;-)
>
> I also expressed my view that
>
> OpenOffice.org = Apache OpenOffice
> go-oo = LibreOffice
>
> based on the facts that we own all rights on the name and the domains,
> the source code. And we have reserved and migrated the whole infra
> structure... And on www.go-oo.org you can see the relation to LibreOffice.
>
> And that not the complete community have moved to LibreOffice.
>
> But I have pointed out that it is my personal view ;-)

Every tribe has their own founding myth.  I'm not sure they can be
debated rationally.   So it is good to stick to the facts.

> I also pointed out that we don't want to compete with LibreOffice (also
> my personal opinion) and that our main focus and goal is to provide a
> good, stable, high quality, free and intuitive office application.

Good.

> A further point was that I tried to express that our users will decide
> in the future which office they will prefer and that we will focus on
> our users and their real demand.
>
> Based on the discussion after my talk it is clear that many people don't
> understand the split anymore and would appreciate if both projects would
> work together. But that is a political question that can't be answered
> easily. I think with the Apache license we provide a possible basement
> but the license question is much more complicate for some people.

Asking "why" questions about complex group interactions is asking for
trouble.   Every day, when the stock market closes in New York, some
guy on TV is forced to come up with a story on why the market went up
or down or sideways.  He always has a reason: "The market closed
slightly down on fears of Greek defaults" or "The market closed
slightly up on easing fears of Greek defaults".  He never says, "It
beats me.  I have no clue what happened today.  It seems kind of
random".  He never lacks an answer for "why".   But he has no real
knowledge of "why".  It is just story telling, and it tells as much
about the story teller and his fears and concerns as it does the
market.

As for the LO split, you could ask a dozen people "why?" and get a
dozen different answers.  You could ask Keith Curtis "why?" and get 50
answers ;-)  But the question and the answer is not really important.
The only real question worth asking is "What do you want to do today?"

-Rob