incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 20:09:57 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 22.05.2012 15:21, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>>

>>> [snip]
>>>

>>> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> Thus, I will do the following:
>>> - Creation of a complete XML document
>>> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently
>>> no AOO
>>> 3.4 installation package.
>>> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
>>> verification.
>>> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
>>> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links to
>>> certain existing web page for manual download.
>>> - Activate the update service
>>> -- move the final XML document to [4].
>>> -- ask ASF infrastructure team to redirect OOo 3.3 Update URL [5] to [4].
>>>
>>> My goal is to have the update service for OOo 3.3 running at the end of
>>> next week.
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>>>
>>> Any volunteers in advance which want to test?
>>> If yes, please provide information about your OOo 3.3 installation
>>> (operating
>>> system and language) and the test cases (direct download link, link to
>>> download
>>> page, ...) you want to test.
>>>
>>> [3] http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/
>>> [4]
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>> [5]
>>> http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>>

>> I have finished the creation of an XML document. It contains a feed with
>> entries for all platform and language combinations for which we have an AOO
>> 3.4 installation package.
>> Each entry provides a link to web page [6]. This web page is a currently
>> empty landing page for our OOo 3.3 users. On this page we can provide
>> information about our new home at the Apache Software Foundation and our AOO
>> 3.4 release. From here we can direct our OOo 3.3 to our download page [7].
>
> Hi Oliver,
>
>  could we eventually jointly work on a test phase for a fraction of
> the user base? Maybe we could enable the auto-updates for a given
> language, or so. Actually this could help us to make some realistic
> assumptions on the total load, and if needed the necessary adjustments
> to ensure the optimal performance.

So, if we know from existing AOO 3.4 downloads that language/platform
X is Y% of the total, then if we test the OOo 3.3 upgrade with only X,
we can project what the total upgrade volume would be.  That sounds
reasonable.