incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 14:01:14 GMT
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 28 May 2012 19:10, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'd like to start the graduation process, with the aim of being a TLP
>> in time for the 3.4.1 release.
>
> Speaking as a mentor...
>
> I want to see clarity on the category-b issue. I've commented
> elsewhere and hope to see progress there. Since so many people here
> are convinced that the current solution is OK then why doesn't someone
> do exactly as Rob suggests later in this thread and get a
> clarification of the policy? It would take far less time than arguing
> about it.
>
> This is the only blocker I see for graduation at this time.

I agree this needs to be resolved.   If we have even one person on the
PPMC with concerns about our current approach there is a reasonable
chance that there will be at least one person on the IPMC with similar
concerns.  It doesn't mean what we're doing is necessarily wrong.  It
just means that it is not sufficiently obvious that what we're doing
is right.

> There is one particularly nasty job left to do - decide who will be in
> the PMC upon graduation and who will not. In the past I have
> volunteered to do this. I will compile a list of people I recommend
> should be a part of the PPMC and will post this for consideration. I
> will not take kindly to anyone contacting me offlist to make a case
> for or against any individuals, so please don't bother. Wait until I
> post the list here.

It is good to have someone neutral do this, so thanks.   I assume you
will take care to look at contributions as recorded in SVN commits,
but also forums, translations, Bugzilla, and other areas.