incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Performance!
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 16:22:00 GMT
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 17:25 +0800, imacat wrote:
>> Please do not attack any party, or create any FUD.
>
>        Thanks imacat.
>
>> Subject: Performance!
>> Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 23:51:47 +0200
>> From: Armin Le Grand <armin_le_grand@me.com>
>>
>> Nice read: http://tinyurl.com/c24awgq
>
>        I'm always somewhat amused to see statistics on my private blog,
> quickly labelled FUD (with little-to-no justification or measured
> attempt at reproducing them more accurately).
>
>        However promoting studies on the official Apache OpenOffice Google+
> account to a performance comparison with these minor weaknesses:
>
>        + non-available reference documents
>                => fundamentally un-repeatable
>        + no details on timing methodology "seconds to load"
>                => but with data accurate to 1/10th of a second
>        + no raw data & => no error bars
>
>        Is not FUD :-) I mean, I personally like performance comparisons, I can
> easily believe there is some performance gap in some areas - and I'm
> eager to find and fix it - but it is deeply frustrating to not be able
> to.

Well, it looks like LO overcame the poor quality of the performance
data, the lack of a methodology document and the failure of the
blogger to provide error bars and p-values, and despite this great
adversity managed to confirm that in fact this was a performance
regression in LibreOffice:

See last comment here:

http://www.hostcult.com/2012/05/apache-openoffice-34-vs-libreoffice-353.html

and see the post here:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-May/031523.html

Note that this might not have been found (or fixed), without choice
and competition in the market, provided by Apache OpenOffice.   So
already, AOO 3.4 barely a day old, and we've already helped improve
LibreOffice.  This is good news, I think.

-Rob