incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting Started with AOO book
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 00:29:36 GMT
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The lack of interest in this book is quite conspicuous, and very demotivating
for me to continue to work on it. I've put the updated draft chapters on the ODFAuthors website
and will put the compiled draft book there soon. Then I'll go back to my travel photos and
to the LibreOffice books. Someone can let me know if/when anything happens at AOO userdocs.
Cheers, Jean

>> In case it is not clear:  this is the mad rush to do the final touches
>> on the AOO 3.4 release.  We're completing the vote, mapping out
>> release directory structures, updating download scripts, doing final
>> website translations, preparing blog posts and release announcements,
>> etc.   Anyone involved in the project is already working at 110% this
>> week.  So don't be demotivated if you don't get immediate feedback on
>> your user guides.  But next time maybe try to have these ready for
>> review at the same time we're prepping the Release Candidate build.
>> You're more likely to get cycles from project members then.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> I first brought this specific book project up on this list on 15
> February, at which time there was a bit of discussion but no one came
> forth to actually do any work. I also brought it up at ODFAuthors,
> with similar lack of response. So I forged ahead on my own. On 4 April
> I asked for reviewers on both this list and ODFAuthors. I may be
> wrong, but I think that was before the RC prep cycle.
>
> My note at the start of this thread was as much to do with the lack of
> interest (at ODFAuthors as well as here) from people to work on
> preparing the drafts, as it was about lack of reviewers. The lack of
> techwriters could be due to any number of factors, but the nett result
> is as I mentioned in my first note on this thread.

I think the trick is finding the right people, of connecting
volunteers with volunteer opportunities.  Realistically, if someone
was really interested in tech writing, they probably would not be on
this list.  The traffic level and the topics covered would make this
list nearly unbearable to someone unless they were interested in the
project in general.   I don't think it is necessarily lack of interest
or lack of writers.  It could just be a question of finding them.

So instead of having posts lost in the ocean of ooo-dev,  maybe we'd
have better luck with:

1) Adding some specific ODF Authors call for volunteers info on our
"help wanted" page;
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

2) cc'ing ooo-users on a "call for volunteers" (or reviewers) post.
(ooo-users is more power users than normal users)

3) Write a blog post on the project blog, explaining the documentation
program you have in general, what you've accomplished and then explain
how interested parties can get involved.  We can promote that post via
social networking sites and get thousands of views,  This is probably
your best bet.

4) In general, promote the idea of volunteering.  For example, imagine
something like this:

"Just in time for the release of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 we have
refreshed content for the User Guides.   Technical writers with the
ODF Authors project have worked hard to create these updates, but we
need to your help to review these new guides.  Both technical and
editorial reviews are valuable.   This is a great opportunity for new
volunteers on the project, since it assumes no previous knowledge
about OpenOffice, and in fact you will learn a lot about it in the
process!

To volunteer, please join the following mailing list XXXXXX and
introduce yourself.   Our editors are standing by."

See?  Make it interesting, exciting and actionable.

-Rob