incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pages in the social media
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 14:41:06 GMT
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Claudio Filho <filhocf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2012/5/6 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>> And same here.  An official project account should be linking back to
>> the project website, not to www.escritoriolivre.org.
>
> Rob, remember that we *haven't* infra yet. When we have a pt-br list,
> naturally we will use it.

We have a page here: http://www.openoffice.org/pt-br/

I think you would link the social media account to the main official website.

> I understand that is necessary to have all efforts more close possible
> related to AOO, but in many times, we haven't this velocity and this
> can't be a barrier for new volunteers/promoters, IMO.
>
> And i think that this was a good example in OOo, where we had freedom
> to start our regional group, promoting the product and grew because
> hadn't a similar space in Oracle.

You still have the freedom to do work outside of Apache,  But
obviously that is not officially part of the project.  It is external.
 It might still do wonderful work.  But it is not officially part of
"Apache OpenOffice".

So there is nothing wrong with having both an external
www.escritoriolivre.org community, as well as a Brazilian community
and list within the Apache project.  But these are two different
things.  We need to avoid confusing users about what is official and
what is not.

I understand that OpenOffice.org did things differently here.  In some
sense they compensated for strong corporate control of the code by
giving more autonomy to the NLC.  That was how they "achieved peace"
with the community,  But we don't have that issue here.   At Apache
everyone has equal freedom to work directly within the project.

-Rob