incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO 2 million?
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 15:47:16 GMT
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2012-05-25, at 21:09 , Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> So....  maybe we just make a smaller announcement, via
>>> ooo-dev/ooo-users and social media for the 2 million mark, when we
>>> actually hit it.  Then for the larger Symphony announcement we also
>>> note the 1 year achievement as well as give an updated download count,
>>> 2.5 or 3.0 million, depending on when that is ready for release.
>>

>> +1
>
> +1
>
>> But I'd also ping the various journalists, to show them and thus the world, that
AOO is not a flash in the pan, not fools' gold but the Real Thing, to which value can be added
and even without that, used as valued.

> As a matter of fact downloads are very slightly diminishing from the
> announcement, and having those numbers public and certified by a
> trusted third party could make the difference.

I'm seeing this as the download count per day, looking only at
installer downloads:

05/07/12	28470
05/08/12	99148
05/09/12	128110
05/10/12	122781
05/11/12	107818
05/12/12	85471
05/13/12	93294
05/14/12	114311
05/15/12	115410
05/16/12	112302
05/17/12	105583
05/18/12	101209
05/19/12	76480
05/20/12	88578
05/21/12	118753
05/22/12	115414
05/23/12	113039
05/24/12	105471

So we had a peak day of 128,110, a couple of days after the release
announcement.  But now we're peaking at  113-118 thousand on weekdays.
 So still rather strong, I think.

In any case, more validation is always welcome.  So I've checked in
the script I used to generate these stats.  Anyone is welcome to
download, execute and review.   Enhancements are welcome as well:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/devtools/aoo-stats/aoo-stats.py

The script can be executed, assuming python in in your path, as:
python aoo-stats.py > output.csv

The CSV file can then be imported into Calc.  I find it useful to then
enable the 'auto filter' and filter to show only 'install' downloads.
 Creating a pivot table is useful s well.

-Rob