incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW] What to do with OOo related domains?
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 13:23:42 GMT
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Of course, the easy decision is simply to say "yes" to everything.
>> But unless the ASF gets free registrations, this is a cost that will
>> need to be handled on an ongoing basis.
>>

> Suppose we're speaking about 10 domains, I don't think $100 /year is going
> to break the ASF's coffers, or does it?.
>
> http://www.maddogdomains.com/?isc=mddgdic04&gclid=CMH82K_gnLACFQKCnQodP1NCYA
> .com $8.17/yr
> .org  $7/yr

I count 28 domains on Andrew's list.

The 28 by themselves is not a huge expense.  I just want us to
consider whether this actually accomplishing anything.  For example,
I'd hate to see us expand this strategy to other NL's or other
permutations of domain names without really understanding how the
"game" is played today.  With the expansion of TLD's, the game seems
to be getting domains like openoffice.fm and then using Twitter and
Google+ to spam advertisements, or to use Google or Bing sponsored
search ads to drive traffic to the fake website.

-Rob