incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A wiki about how to support a VBA API
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 11:51:16 GMT
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On May 2, 2012, at 9:45 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
>
>> On 05/02/2012 04:29 AM, Peng Chen wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>      I post a wiki about how to support a VBA API in OpenOffice,
>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/How_to_support_a_VBA_API_in_OpenOffice
>>>
>>>      Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks.
>>>
>> I am almost embarrassed to say this, but after having read it, I have no idea what
the article is about. I think that the problem is that I lack the proper vocabulary. For example,
when I see "VBA", I think "Visual Basic Applications", which is something that MSO (Microsoft
Office) supports, and not OOo (OpenOffice.org).

>> Is this an article related to the VBA compatibility mode stuff that can be enabled
using a specific Option from inside of StarBasic?

>> After I have a handle on exactly what is accomplished, then I will read this again,
since it looks like you are probably answering some very specific questions that I have in
areas that I do not fully understand, but have searched for in the past.

>> Sorry for my lack of immediate understanding.
>
> I'm not sure what I am reading either. My reference is using Apache POI and its User
Defined Function (UDF) capability to rewrite a VBA function in Java. This allows me to have
a different implementation of a VBA function that is not in a Basic derivative. Whether that
works or not depends on whether I can accurately code the VBA in Java. This is not easy.

> I think that this API may be more about "UDF" support than VBA support.
>
> To me VBA support means that I can run my MS Office VBAs in the program without any trouble.

We have VBA support in Symphony.  It looks like the Symphony
developers are starting to add some technical documentation about the
features they added to Symphony, beyond what is in OOo.

-Rob