incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: OpenOffice on eBay
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 18:59:29 GMT
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM, SpindleHill Auctions
<email@spindlehill.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I would like to get further information on how I could sell OpenOffice on
> eBay, either via download and/or CDROM. I have been selling on eBay since
> 2004, and I am looking to increase my inventory and sales. Thank you very
> much for your time and consideration.

This question comes up every few weeks.  This is the response I gave
the last time:

http://markmail.org/message/g6viii4ito6hhwim

So the open source license certainly allows someone to sell copies of
Apache OpenOffice.   But you do need to be careful not to run into
trademark issues.  This page covers some of the issues:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/   In general, you'll want to
avoid anything that would suggest to the consumer that you are
affiliated with, or represent the Apache Software Foundation or the
Apache OpenOffice project.

Since OpenOffice is already available for download free, you might
have better luck with CD-ROM distribution.

In either case, I'd invite you to sign up for our announcements
mailing list, so you hear about new releases as they are made. You can
sign up by sending an email to:   ooo-announce@incubator.apache.org

You can access all of the downloads here:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

-Rob