incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving Category-B tarballs (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process)
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 16:12:16 GMT
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:
> On 31.05.2012 14:51, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Pedro Giffuni<pfg@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>

>>> --- Mer 30/5/12, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  ha scritto:
>

> [...]
>

>> So instead of a an axe, let's try a scalpel.  The ext_sources tree was
>> branched along with the rest of the the AOO 3.4 tree.  So you should
>> be able to safely work on the branch, defining the external
>> dependencies there.  This could be done without touching the trunk and
>> without breaking the 3.4.0 release.  Then, after 3.4.1 is released, we
>> can bring those changes to the trunk.
>>
>> Does that make sense?  We don't break our release distributions until
>> we have a working replacement in the form of 3.4.1.  If that means we
>> delay graduation until 3.4.1, then so be it.
>

> You are talking about a new branch, right, not the 3.4.1 branch?

I thought the 3.4.1 branch would be appropriate.  Move the category-b
tarballs to Apache Extras, and make the build fetch from there instead
of from SVN.  That way the trunk's copy of these dependencies doesn't
disappear yet.  Then when we release 3.4.1, we have a release that is
not dependent on the SVN copies, and we can safely remove them then.

The problem we have now is that even though we branched after the 3.4
release, the build script is still fetching from the trunk copy of the
dependencies.  So we need to fix this is a somewhat backwards way.

Or am I missing something?

-Rob