incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LibreOffice relicensing efforts
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 11:44:15 GMT
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer Shane. Its a shame people can't see this for what it
> is. The LO team are taking a step that makes collaboration easier from a
> technical point of view. This is a good thing.
>
> Yes, the sharing of code is still one way, unless individual contributors
> decide to submit patches to both projects. However, the work involved in
> doing this will be reduced by this action. This is a good thing.

Well, yes and no.   TDF always had the ability to accept ALv2 code via
its compatibility with LGPL.  So merely converting to MPLv2 does not
enable anything that was not possible before.  What does help is that
they are now giving explicit thought to how this might work in their
processes, and how they will note such combinations in their files.
That, more than the license change, will make it easier for them to
consume AOO code, and for contributors to contribute to both projects.