incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 18:51:17 GMT
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Pedro Giffuni <> wrote:
> Hi Drew;
> --- Mar 29/5/12, drew <> ha scritto:
> <snip>
>> > >> >>
>>> >> Yes the situation was specifically postponed as a graduation
>>> >> issue, I am not going through that discussion again.
>>> >>
>>> >> I made a concrete proposal with two alternatives:
>>> >>
>>> >> - They are moved to a friendly ftp/http site.
>>> >> - I step down from the PPMC to avoid the community
>>> >> the pain of a -1 vote.
>>> >
> ...
>> Could be - it was just the way Pedro phrased his comment I
>> thought perhaps his thinking was being influenced by the
>> earlier remarks.
> The idea that we have remaining issues with Category-B
> tarballs in the tree has been around since before the
> release, and one of our mentors (Ross I recall) did
> acknowledge my point of view.

Again, I don't see an issue here.  But if you feel strongly about this
you are welcome to copy the ext_sources over to Apache Extras and do a
trivial update of the build script.   Whatever makes you happy.  But
I'd find it odd if any substantial issue of policy could really be
addressed by simply changing a URL.  To me that sounds like worshiping
some formalism rather than actually understanding the policy and its

> I did offer to step down then but I don't mean to make
> a big issue out of this. If I step down it will be
> communicated in the private list exclusively. I would
> still be a committer and nothing would really change
> for me.
> What I feel is disappointing is the lack of
> acknowledgement that there *is* an issue. Category-B
> software can be included in releases in binary form
> but it should be otherwise actively discouraged, and in
> general unsupported: it should not be included in the
> buildbots and using it should be, in general terms, a
> IMHO this project benefited greatly from the Category-X
> replacement and in general I would like the project to
> head in a direction that will lead to greater license
> and code simplification but the current situation where
> we work-around the policy issues instead of solving them
> is (again IMO) unacceptable.
> Pedro.

View raw message