incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 00:43:59 GMT
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima
<paulo.s.lima@varekai.org> wrote:
> 2012/5/20 win <wmbooth@gmail.com>
>
>> On 05/20/2012 04:11 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima wrote:
>>
>>> The fact is: there's a lot of people helping AOO and you don't really know
>>> them. And they don't want to fill a form to officially help AOO or Apache
>>> Foundation. But it would be good to see they are recognized as "helpers",
>>> or "contributors", or whatever, some way.
>>>

>> Perhaps those that can use both the NL and English can be liaisons between
>> the the NL community and the community here.  They could help NL users by
>> either assisting with posting here if a subject needs to be brought up
>> here.  As well they could keep local users informed of what is happening in
>> this community.
>>

> Me, Claudio, Albino, Raul and Kayo are already doing that. We don't want to
> play the " proxy" role, so we don't have any private lists. All we discuss
> in Brazil is in a public list. So you can also have access to the content,
> using, perhaps, Google Translate.
>

>>  Another possibility is a variety of badges or such for helping out on the
>> NL lists and/or being liaisons .  The NL groups sound like users groups to
>> me, at least historically, so maybe that is a model that should be
>> considered.
>>

> In September there will be 2 large FLOSS events in the same week in Brazil.
> FISL12 and FTSL. People will be there and we want to talk about AOO. Can we
> do that? Of course we are not ASF representatives, but may we talk about
> the project? Ask for people to join us? Is there some way we can identify
> ourselves to the project?

+1

For example, I have give such presentations before.  I just say that I
am, "Rob Weir, a Committer on the Apache OpenOffice project".  I think
several of us have done this as well.

If someone is not a Committer yet, they could identify themselves a
"Contributor" or "Developer" or "Translator" or "Volunteer" or
something like that.

Taking about the project is fine.  Calling for new volunteers is good
as well.  These are important conferences.  I've heard great things,
in particular, about FISL.  So it would be great to have a presence
there.

I know there was talk, on another thread, of a standard presentation
template for the project.  Maybe we could have some standard overview
slides for the project, that could be translated and occasionally
updated?  That would allow any volunteer to give a presentation to a
local conference, large or small.

-Rob