incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO 2 million?
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 20:19:19 GMT
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM, drew jensen <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 20:00 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.

>> downplayed
>> >
>> > Hi Ross,
>> >
>> > Then I would suggest you simply stop - it seems rather simple.
>>
>> Of course. Will we then have silence?
>>
>> Oh, and your welcome.
>
> I do appreciate what you did, and I would not be bothered if you did
> more to be honest, but I am ready to hear from others about more
> substance at this point.
>
> For instance:
>
> How are strategic goals going to be set?

In a volunteer project with varying priorities, strategy is more of an
average of our individual interests than some a priori that we agree
on.  Of course, we might have short-term or median-term goals that we
collectively execute on.  But this particular project growing so fast
that long-term strategy is "whatever we do", since the stakeholders of
the project are constantly shifting.   We're not going to have a
stable "long term strategy" while we are still voting in PPMC members
every other day, and seeing new companies join every other week.  Not
a bad thing, just a reflection that stability of goals assumes a
stability of stakeholders.

> What plans are there for addressing the changes happening with user
> computing platforms (web, mobile), or will they?

Where there is interest, volunteers make things happen.  We see that
with the *BSD, OS/2 and Solaris ports.  If someone is interested in
testing with Windows 8 then we will support that.  There is nothing
magical here.  No one can compel volunteers to work on a particular
task,

> There is a whole slew of real questions I don't hear being addressed = I
> see Kevin talking about a UX team and being chided for it, yet I read in
> emails that a QE lead is already selected, and I wonder - when did that
> happen?

It didn't.  Maybe a language misunderstanding?

> I read a few sideways remarks about patches in the LibreOffice group,
> removing dead code or instance - something that was talked about for
> years at OO.o but always no solution for lack of bodies - well, ok make
> your cracks but I want to know then how is this group going to deal with
> that, or will it?

If someone wants to, they are welcome to remove dead code.  If someone
wants to do this, but doesn't know how, then they are welcome to ask
for assistance.  But I wouldn't assume that anyone wants to do that.
It sounds like dreadfully boring work.

> Put another way, it seems to me that most of the talk, indeed the work,
> is still reactive and not yet proactive and I would really like to see
> that start to change.

Proactive talk is still just talk.  IMHO we need more action and less
talk.  In fact lazy consensus, JFDI and CTR are designed to reduce
unnecessary discussion.

That said, if anyone feels unable to do something they want to do, for
lack of a documented "5-year plan for the project", then they should
speak up ;-)

-Rob

> //drew
>

>> Ross