incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 02:55:05 GMT
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Tsutomu Uchino <hanya.runo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Rob
>
> 2012/5/29 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>>
>> You could be in error.  I hope you acknowledge that as a possibility.
>> I could be in error s well.  So what either one of us believes is not
>> really the point, is it?  Thus the suggestion to clarify the policy.
>>
>>> Category-B tarballs are there in an attempt to work around the
>>> fact that we are only supposed to be using binaries.
>>>

>> The restriction concerning category-b binaries is a restriction on releases.
>>
>>> No other Apache project is carrying sources and patches to
>>> MPL'd tarballs in the repositories and, other than the
>>> configure option, we are giving them basically the same
>>> treatment as Category-A.
>>>

>> We're not including category-b source in releases.  If we learned
>> anything in the last year I'd hope we learned that this was an
>> important distinction.
>>
> Release includes some JavaScript source having MPL header from moz module
> in openoffice.org/basis3.4/program/defaults and greprefs directories.

The distinction between source and binary breaks down with interpreted
languages like Javascript.  In such cases the distinction would be
between what we include in our released source tarballs versus what we
include in our released binary install sets.  We may include
category-b in our binary packages, even if they are in Javascript,
though we may not include the same in our source packages.