incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Blows Past 1M Downloads
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 13:14:34 GMT
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Albino Biasutti Neto
<biasuttin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> 2012/5/17 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>
>
>> Earlier today we hit the 1 million download mark for Apache OpenOffice
>> 3.4.   Congratulations to the AOO project team, and thanks to all the
>> users who downloaded this release over the past week, and especially
>> to those who took the time to write and offer suggestions or report
>> bugs.
>>
>> You can read more about our strong first week, including more
>> statistics and press excerpts,  in this short article:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/news/aoo34-1M.html
>>
>> If you have not yet installed Apache OpenOffice 3.4 you can get it
>> here:  http://download.openoffice.org
>>

> Congratulation! :-)

Yes.   and something we should all remember:  This 1M mark was
achieved *without* enabling the automatic update check server.
Normally, this would be enabled for a new release, so all users of OOo
3.3.0 would get a pop-up notification that AOO 3.4 is ready for them
to download.  with 100 million existing users, the upgrade traffic for
that would be huge.  But that server is not enabled yet.

So everyone who downloaded AOO 3.4 did so on "word of mouth".  They
heard about the AOO 3.4 update on Twitter or Facebook, or heard about
it from a friend, or saw some coverage in the press.  The fact that we
got 1 million downloads based on that shows that we did great work on
the release promotion.  So good work, everyone!

-Rob