incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 22:26:04 GMT
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/03/2012 02:59 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

It

So,

>>> On http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html:
>>>
>>> I expected something to happen when I clicked on the "Get the legacy
>>> OpenOffice.org" button. But nothing does. WinXP/Firefox 12.0. The
>>

>> I've removed the link function and used the box just to show the
>> infomational text. Therefore only a red color box without the big arrow
>> pointing down on mouseover (compare with the green box).
>>
>>> icon changed from an arrow to a hand when over that box, but clicking
>>> does nothing. The other boxes work fine.
>>

>> In CSS (.../legacy/exceptions.css) I've already set the mouse pointer to
>> default - which should show as arrow - but this doesn't seem to work. :-(
>

> oh boy...the trials and tribulations of css

I wonder if it would be simpler to just put that info in a <p> and not
have a box at all.  Boxes seem to lead the user to click.  It looks
like a button.  So if we have nothing to click, then don't use a box.

>>> Do we know how this will be linked from the /download/index.html page?
>>

>> I think there was no idea mentioned yet. A link in the right nav bar
>> should be enough - instead of a bigger colored box in the middle.
>

> OK, so how DO we want this linked in?
>
> Right now, we have --
>

> Searching for another version? Get all platforms, languages, language packs
> | Release Notes | MD5 checksums
>
> in the light green DL button options section on:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
>
> the test DL page.
>
> Do we want to add something here, or add a it in the side menu someplace...
>
> ( and I just noticed some additional things I need to change there! oops!)

Oh, it looks much nicer now that the alerts are gone!

One idea to support the legacy links:

Right now we have three simple links under the top button:

"Searching for another version? Get all platforms, languages, language
packs | Release Notes | MD5 checksums"

What if we shortened the first link, and added another one, like this:

Other Platforms and Languages | Older Versions | Release Notes |
Signatures and Hashes

(note in this version I've changed "MD5 checksum" to "Signatures and
Hashes" since the Apache releases come with 2 differnt hashes as well
as a detached signature.   And that reminds me.... we'll need a page
for that.

-Rob