incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LibreOffice relicensing efforts
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 02:31:06 GMT
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> In case folks haven't seen this:
>
>  http://legal-discuss.markmail.org/thread/mleqsm636zf5fqia
>
> Which points to:
>
>  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Relicensing
>
> So it looks like there will be plenty of code sharing! 8->

It seems to be based on an interesting theory about what an SGA
actually does.  It seems to assume that the SGA itself puts the code
under the Apache License.  But does it?   Take a look at the actually
text:  http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt  I don't see
anything where it states that the grantor gives the files to the ASF
under ALv2.  But it does give the ASF a broader bucket of permissions,
including the right to sublicense.

My impression I think the ALv2 is attached during the IP review
process in the Podling, as we review the code, as Oracle (via Andrew)
changed the LGPL headers to Apache headers, and ultimately when the
IPMC voted to approve the AOO 3.4 release.

Ultimately, basing a LO license rebasing on a pre-IP review,
pre-release version of AOO is not recommended.  We all know what types
of issues we ran into and had to clean up.  The released code is in
much better, in terms of straightening out the licenses.