incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how to get information out about non-Apache builds/packages
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 16:08:54 GMT
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Do we want to do something to make folks aware of non-Apache packs for
>> AOO
>> > (3.4.0 and beyond).
>> >
>> > I don't know how this has been done in the past, if at all.
>> >
>> > Right now I know there is a download on freebsd.org, and Wolf has made a
>> > Ubuntu build on ??? (I need to track this down)
>> >

>> > Any ideas on this in terms of collection and placement?
>> >

>> Some other Apache projects list derived products on their websites,
>> with a suitable disclaimer.   See, for example what Subversion does:
>>
>> http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html
>>

> ok, thanks for this bit of information...
>

>> I think this is an important part of encouraging the ecosystem.  A
>> parent should be proud of his children's accomplishment, and not be
>> jealous.   So we want products based on AOO code to be popular, very
>> popular.  That is what success looks like,
>>
>> But I don't think we need to search the web for products to list.  But
>> if someone requests this we can discuss on a case-by-case basis.
>>

> I didn't mean to imply this. I meant dealing with the packagings we are
> sort of already aware of from list members here.
>

>> But where to put it?   It could be a link from the download/index.html
>> to another page where we maintain that information.
>>

> That sounds like a good idea to me...maybe even as a separate sub-category
> a la "Additional Resources" so it's easy to spot.
>

>> We'd probably want to have some standards for how these are listed.
>> Otherwise one vendor wants a 50x50 icon, and the next wants a 75x75
>> and then the next wants 200x200 in order to show up better.   We need
>> to be fair. So that probably means the listings need to meet some
>> requirement for length and content.
>>

>> For example:
>>
>> 1) product must be based on Apache OpenOffice
>>
>> 2) If product uses Apache trademarks they must be used properly, i.e.,
>> permission where needed, attribution,etc.
>>
>> 3) product listing per some specification (see Subversion for one style)
>>

> yes...
>
> I'm making an assumption based on what you're saying here, that you think
> it would be better put up as an actual web page, where we could review
> entries, rather than put up this new page as a wiki page. Yes?

Yes, I think we need to approve whatever is listed.  Otherwise, what
would prevent someone from adding a listing for a modified version of
OpenOffice that installs spyware on a user's machine?

This is easiest to do with a webpage, I think.  We're talking about
what?    3 or so initial listings, maybe a few others over time?  It
will never be a real "high rate of change" page.

-Rob