incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CD-ROMs for consumers
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 20:06:46 GMT
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> On 2012-05-14, at 12:47 , Kay Schenk wrote:

>>> related.
>>>>

>>> This page has repeatedly been the source of confusion and concern.
>>>

>> FWIW -- I de-linked the CDROM info from the current download page before we
>> went live. The old distribution info, of course, continued to live on...so
>> this was needed.
>>
>> I started, rather feebly, a new page yesterday that I thought might be a
>> catch all for all manners of third party distributions --CDROM, other
>> builds not by Apache. That would tie in or actually be replaced by this new
>> page you started. yeah, we need to work on this, hopefully soon, to get
>> more options out there.
>>
>> This new page is good until we determine HOW we even want to "verify"
>> what's being distributed by these methods.
>
> What would "verify" mean? When I set up the CDROM project and distribution category,
the verification was simple: the binaries and source (if that was what they wanted to deliver,
too; a link would have worked, and did, usually) had to come from one of OOo's mirrors, and
we (Alex, at that point) pointed them to those. (That was the mirrors list I set up but which
was then later maintained by several, including Florian E.)

> Why not do the same? It must come from an AOO distribution mirror. We simply trust those
who claim that that is how they obtained the binaries. As to what is distributed on CDROM
(or DVD): what they want, in addition to a legitimate binary. And it need not be, of course,
in English.

The prior discussion on this was last week, in a thread called "Who is
Page Maintainer Now? http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/"

-Rob