incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 22:45:35 GMT
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to start the graduation process, with the aim of being a TLP
>> in time for the 3.4.1 release.
>>
>> The IPMC has a "Guide to Successful Graduation" page with a lot of
>> detail and advice:  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
>>
>> The calendar here is especially useful:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel
>>
>> It shows 4 steps:
>>
>> 1) a vote on ooo-dev (a community vote) on whether we want to graduate now
>>
>> 2) a discussion on ooo-dev leading to the draft of a charter for the new
>> TLP
>>
>> 3) an IPMC vote on whether or not to recommend the podling for graduation
>>
>> 4) a vote by the ASF Board on a resolution creating the new TLP
>>
>> This thread is just a proposal.  It is not the actual vote called for
>> in #1 above.  But I'd like to gauge current sentiment.  Are we all +1
>> for going ahead?  If not, please list what pre-graduation tasks you
>> believe need to be done first.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> There is a LOT to go through here. I was OK up until the "Prepare a
> Charter" and then I'm confused. I see the minutes of board actions but not
> actual charters(?) OK, I may have missed the essence...I'll move on.

I think Charter == Board Resolution.

So we need something according to this template:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/templates/podling-tlp-resolution.txt

So the actual work for "Prepare a Charter" is to fill in the blanks in
that template, including project name, description and scope,
determining the initial PMC members and the PMC Chair.  The calendar
suggested a week to figure these items out.  It might take us longer.

> I think it's fine to "start the graduation process" at this time though I'm
> not sure we'll make the 3.4.1 timeline proposal of July 31, 2012. (There
> seems to be a lot to do with this.)

It is just a goal. If we don't make that date then the downside is:

1) We need to go thorugh the extra IPMC vote on the release and wait
for three IPMC votes

2) We cannot issue an official press release

3) The release has "incubating" in the name

This isn't horrible, but if we can avoid it, then this is good as
well.  But getting this done before we all leave for summer holidays
seems like a good idea.

> Pedro has brought up some points. The only thing I've seen that might be an
> issue for us is the use of Apache mirrors, as we're currently using
> SourceForge for distributions also.

Remember, we have permission to use SourceForge, and we're also using
the Apache mirrors, for the source distribution.  So I think we're OK
here.

-Rob