incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feedback on the CMS
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 18:32:55 GMT
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> With 1100 builds so far the ooo-site CMS instance
> is only 350 builds behind www.apache.org as the
> most-used CMS tree so far.  I monitor the CMS logs
> daily to evaluate usage and this project publishes
> about as often as all our other projects combined,
> which really makes me wonder where we'd be here if
> the org had never created the CMS in the first place.

Wow.  Impressive stats.  I know I use it nearly on a daily basis.

> The ooo-site is far and away the largest instance at
> over 9GB total.  The reason I'm writing here is to
> ask general questions about user satisfaction with
> the CMS:
>
> 1) Is there any aspect of the CMS that needs immediate
>    improvement?

It works for me.

> 2) Are you satisfied with the workflow, or are there areas
>    that could stand improvement?

For the novice, it would be useful to have more guidance text on what
to do next.   So maybe a streamlined "easy" interface, and then the
full version.

> 3) Is there anything that should be done to encourage more
>    users who are not committers to use the CMS to submit patches
>    to the list?

There is a live markdown preview of changes, but none given for HTML
pages.  Since most of the openoffice.org site is still HTML, this
would be very useful and help catch errors before staging.

> 4) Are there any UI features you'd like to see implemented,
>    either in the web interface or the publication script?

In the web interface, something that would poll the build and
automatically refresh to the staging server when the build is
complete.