incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 23:50:46 GMT
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Again, I don't see an issue here.  But if you feel
>>> strongly about this you are welcome to copy the
>>> ext_sources over to Apache Extras and do a
>>> trivial update of the build
>>> script.   Whatever makes you happy.
>>
>> I am busy at the moment, plus doing this will
>> mean I have to suspend the updates I was working
>> on.
>>
>> I think I will start next week. I will only move
>> Category-B code and I will disable it from the
>> buildbots too: it's rather inconvenient to have
>> the buildbot depend on downloading extra tarballs.
>>
>> This is admittedly a stop gap solution to comply
>> better with the Apache policies, the real fix would
>> be to work collectively on replacing the code that
>> can be replaced:
>
> Alternatively, it is possible to include cat B [1] dependencies in binary form.
> Is there any need to include the source?

If the build did not consumer source then we would need to store, in
SVN,  category-b binaries files for each component, in each
platform/architecture.  That would be 4 platforms now, but I'd expect
that go up to 7 in the near future.

I don't think that solves any real problem.  We'd still need access to
the source to provide urgent security patches, etc.  So we're then
back to the same question:  where to store the category-b source
tarballs?

-Rob