incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Download stats script (in progress)
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 13:00:32 GMT
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On May 10, 2012, at 9:10 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 11. May 2012 at 05:06, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> SourceForge has a nice REST API to query for download stats and return
>>> them in JSON objections. Unfortunately, our directory structure for
>>> AOO 3.4 is rather odd, with English downloads in one place,
>>> translations in another directory, and mixing hashes, installs and
>>> languages packs altogether. So getting these stats is a little
>>> painful. You can't just get the numbers of a single directory and be
>>> done. It is more complicated than that.
>>>

>> I noticed this as well and I have also thought about a script or app to collect them
;-) good that you already have started...

>>> Also, the SF API seems to be rate limited, or at least I'm getting
>>> errors if I query it too much. That's understandable.
>>>
>>> So.... I'm coding a simple download stats app, in python, that will
>>> collect together all the relevant stats and produce reports. It
>>> caches on disk JSON objects that have already been retrieved, which
>>> eliminates the throttling issues as well as greatly improves
>>> performance.
>>>
>>> Not quite done, but I'll check it in (where?)
>> mmh good question,
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/tools/.
>
>> Maybe we can integrate a download counter in the webpage. Something that gets automatically
updated hourly or twice a day.

> We should be able to script publishing of the downloads (or any other) page every hour.
This is done for www.apache.org/. Infra will know the details.

One approach is to have the python script produce a file like
aoo-downloads.js containing summary data in the form of a JSON object.
 That can be imported into any HTML page and then with some simple
scripting can be displayed on any page.

There is a really good timeline widget  here I've been meaning to
explore some day.  I think this would be very cool:

http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeplot/

-Rob