incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 19:25:07 GMT
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Rob;
>

> On 05/28/12 13:10, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to start the graduation process, with the aim of being a TLP
>> in time for the 3.4.1 release.
>>
>> The IPMC has a "Guide to Successful Graduation" page with a lot of
>> detail and advice:  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
>>
>> The calendar here is especially useful:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel
>>
>> It shows 4 steps:
>>
>> 1) a vote on ooo-dev (a community vote) on whether we want to graduate now
>>
>> 2) a discussion on ooo-dev leading to the draft of a charter for the new
>> TLP
>>
>> 3) an IPMC vote on whether or not to recommend the podling for graduation
>>
>> 4) a vote by the ASF Board on a resolution creating the new TLP
>>
>> This thread is just a proposal.  It is not the actual vote called for
>> in #1 above.  But I'd like to gauge current sentiment.  Are we all +1
>> for going ahead?  If not, please list what pre-graduation tasks you
>> believe need to be done first.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Rob
>

> A reminder of a small, but IMHO significant, technical issue:
>
> We do have to take the category-B tarballs out of the tree
> before graduation.

Do we?   If I recall, there were multiple views on this and no
consensus.  But you are welcome to make a concrete proposal.

> In general we should also clear out any other unclear
> content .. so I am not sure what to say about the
> Symphony code since it also contains some code
> that has not been fully IP reviewed.

Receiving and processing software grants is an ongoing responsibility
of TLP's.  So the fact that we are working on processing an additional
grant, beyond the initial OpenOffice one, is not a graduation issue.