incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ML] Please state that the mail was approved and that the author is not subscribed to the ML
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 02:51:18 GMT
On 9 May 2012 02:01, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-05-08 4:32 PM  Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> As a moderator, I am not aware of any way to do this; the moderator has
>>> no means to add a comment to an approved posting. It is possible to tell
>>> from the message headers that a message has been moderated, so perhaps you
>>> could add a rule/macro to your mail client to add the originator as a cc on
>>> any reply when this header is present?
>>

>> I remember that it was possible with the old OOo mailing lists. I cannot
>> believe that this is gone even when here a different ML service is working.
>> ;-)
>>
>> If you can tell me how to do it in Thnderbird I can give it a try.
>>
>> Marcus
>

> Messages from an unsubscribed poster contain the following header:
>
> You can create a filter on this header with Thunderbird for emails. If you
> follow this list as a newsgroup using, as I do, you can't create a filter.
> There were many complaints on the old OOo lists about allowing unsubscribed
> posters. Unless they are clearly identified in the Subject line, it is a
> pain in the ass to identify them. Nothing was ever done to rectify the
> problem.

Possible solutions:
- don't allow posts unless subscribed (e.g. reject the post with a
link to the subscription page)
- allow postings by unsubscribed users, but let them follow the
replies via one of the archive services.

It's a lot of work trying to ensure that unsubscribed posters are
copied - much more work than the one-time effort of subscribing.