incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 15:29:39 GMT
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:08 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM, drew jensen
>> <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Recently there has been some discussion on the projects private ML
>> > regarding issues about native language groups and how best to support
>> > work groups which will by definition be somewhat circumscribed from the
>> > whole by virtue of language without losing the cohesion of a single
>> > project focus.
>> >
>> > I invite others pick that up here:
>>
>> What we do currently:
>>
>> 1) One big ooo-dev list
>>
>> 2) Some NL-specific lists.  I don't subscribe to them at all, so
>> others would need to say how they are currently being used.
>>
>> 3) We have some emerging procedures for how volunteers can contribute
>> to product and website translations, but this information is scattered
>> in old ooo-dev posts and not easy to find.
>>
>> I wonder whether a good step forward might be to document on our
>> project website (http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg) the
>> procedures from #3 above.  Then when we have a new volunteer on the
>> list we can point them to this information.  This could expand to
>> other NL topics such as local marketing/events, trademark usage,  NL
>> mailing lists, etc.
>
> hmm I would say, eventually yes, but if you mean - one giant dev list is
> already the decided outcome and so just document it as such, then I'd
> say no, not yet.
>
> I do not think this project is such that one can just say 'the Apache
> way' and be done with it - there is about to be a new Apache way me
> thinks.
>
> For instance I wonder how much experience there is in the Apache Way
> with a project which will need to look local in certain places around
> the world (China, Vietnam, Brasil, Venzuela and Bolivia come to mind
> quickly) as without this the local government support goes away and
> without that so does the local project - or at least that is my
> understanding of the situation in those places. I use that only to say
> that IMO this needs some real thought as to how this project is going to
> build itself.

Has any thought been given to reaching out to language-teaching
communities at colleges for translation assistance?  This would do
dual duty of getting help with translation of top-level site
information and spreading the word about AOO.  There may be teachers
who would consider translation of NL pages extra-credit work for
students.

Don