incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 15:44:07 GMT
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:29 -0400, Donald Whytock wrote:

>> > hmm I would say, eventually yes, but if you mean - one giant dev list is
>> > already the decided outcome and so just document it as such, then I'd
>> > say no, not yet.
>> >
>> > I do not think this project is such that one can just say 'the Apache
>> > way' and be done with it - there is about to be a new Apache way me
>> > thinks.
>> >
>> > For instance I wonder how much experience there is in the Apache Way
>> > with a project which will need to look local in certain places around
>> > the world (China, Vietnam, Brasil, Venzuela and Bolivia come to mind
>> > quickly) as without this the local government support goes away and
>> > without that so does the local project - or at least that is my
>> > understanding of the situation in those places. I use that only to say
>> > that IMO this needs some real thought as to how this project is going to
>> > build itself.
>>
>> Has any thought been given to reaching out to language-teaching
>> communities at colleges for translation assistance?  This would do
>> dual duty of getting help with translation of top-level site
>> information and spreading the word about AOO.  There may be teachers
>> who would consider translation of NL pages extra-credit work for
>> students.
>
> Sounds like a great idea, if, the reason for this project is simply to
> scratch an itch - in other words if the goal here is to build the
> software and then not really concern ourselves with who uses it, because
> that is outside of the scope of this project and left to others to do
> (and a valid position, perhaps) then I'd say sure, that sounds like one
> good avenue to work on. In that scenario of the reason for the project
> we don't care really about building local teams, only in the work
> product.
>
> //drew

I was thinking of a bootstrap.  At the moment, if all the policies and
procedures and process descriptions are in English, then all your NL
communities must start with a person who's capable in both English and
the target language.  If, on the other hand, you mass-produce
translations of those policies and procedures and process descriptions
into multiple languages and put them on NL root pages, you've widened
your community-founding pool.

Yes, scratching an itch.  And prying open a door.

Don