incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Troll warning
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 18:35:14 GMT
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com
> >wrote:

> > > You made me ROFL. Thanks for that. Have a good Friday.
> >
> > I too laughed at this.
> >
> > However, once I stopped laughing I read the
> > article. I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems pretty well
> > balanced to me. I'm happy to see it being retweeted a great deal. It
> > gives space to both the "LO" has won and the "AOO" will accelerate
> > innovation arguments. It's now the job of this project to do that
> > innovative work in collaboration with anyone who wants to play.
> >
> > Ross
> >

> I disagree -- I don't find it balanced at all! It's just one rant after
> another. Not an article really, a collection of (mostly) negative sound
> bites...and to what end? So many ridiculous statements, by folks with more
> emotion than any real business acumen. I could list a few of them and go
> into my own rant, but I'll pass....
>

> --

> MzK
>
> "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
>                                 -- Mark Twain

Re Troll's Bane:
Don't you have to value their opinion before it can hurt your feelings?
--No, that is pretty cynical
Maybe this situation is a little like having a teenager rebelling against
their family.  Open Office has the far better market penetration and
name-recognition.  All we have to do is be calm produce announcements about
hitting the 1,000,000-mark in downloads to roll over the mean-spirited
people who want to rant against AOO. When my teenagers were rebelling, they
told me all the time what an awful mean, stupid person I was.  I maintained
my temper (most of the time) and after a while they stopped rebelling.
Most of the people who use LO or AOO are oblivious to any contention and
really don't have a negative opinion about any other open-source office
suite.

-Wolf

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org