incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a AOO repo for ubuntu?
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 15:44:17 GMT
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> Juergen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> We can of course create a further link aoo, aooffice, apacheoo or
>> apacheopenoffice. But I would like to keep soffice as well because it
>> is used in many places.
>>

> It would definitely make sense to continue using soffice. And, unless it
> gets political (and I hope it won't), Ubuntu could modify its packaging.
>
> If another name is needed in addition to soffice, then the best option
> would probably be ooffice, which is already in use with, e.g., the Red Hat
> packaging of 3.3. No need to add "a" or "apache" as a prefix: Apache
> Subversion uses "svn", not "asvn"; and the same for Tomcat and other Apache
> software.
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

It is nice to know ooffice is already in production use.
I was thinking that the install script (in the Ubuntu installs) could have
a case structure that checks for existing /usr/bin soft links, for instance:
if soffice exists  # Means openOffice, LibreOffice or StarOffice may be
installed
    follow the link to get the app and version
    echo to dialog   "You appear to have %Existing_App% installed,
     if you would like to keep %Existing_App% and
    install %Current_AOO_Product% beside it,
    click %Button_1% [default unattended install behaviour].
    If you would like to replace %Existing_App%
    with %Current_AOO_Product%
    click %Button_2% and if you would like to abort the installation
     and make no changes to your computer, click %Button_3%.
end_if
if ooffice exists # - Means OpenOffice is installed
    follow the link to get the app and version
    echo to dialog that software  "You appear to have %Existing_App%
installed,
    if you would like to keep %Existing_App% and
    install %Current_AOO_Product% beside it, click %Button_1%.
    If you would like to replace %Existing_App% with %Current_AOO_Product%
    click %Button_2% [default action for unattended install] and if you
would
    like to abort the installation and make no changes to your computer,
click %Button_3%.
end_if

This would work regardless of which Linux you are installing into.and offer
an option that was never available before.  It would also mean that the
Distribution packagers would not have to change very much to add AOO back
into their software repositories.  We always play well with others. :-)

Wolf