incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject What is a PMC Chair?
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 13:56:43 GMT
Since discussion has turned to graduation I'd like to invite people to
consider who they would like to have as PMC chair. The first part of
this is understanding what the role of a PMC chair is.

First and foremost the position of chair does not bring any additional
authority over the project, at least not in normal circumstances. It
is true that in the event of a deadlock the chair has a casting vote,
however I have never seen this happen. In reality the chair is just
the same as any other PMC member except that they are expected to do a
certain amount of "paperwork" for the PMC and, more importantly, they
are a community facilitator. You can find a full description of the
responsibilities at [1]. In summary they are:

  - Subscribe to and monitor board@ (and board meeting minutes) and
infrastructure@ at lists, ensuring the community takes any necessary
actions

  - Submit quarterly reports

  - Maintain PMC membership records

  - Ensure everyones voice is heard

Before calling for nominations (and people can self-nominate if they
so desire) I would like to take a few days to allow people to ask any
questions about the role and the type of individual that is best
suited to be a chair.

Ross

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

--