incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Paulo de Souza Lima <paulo.s.l...@varekai.org>
Subject Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 22:38:12 GMT
Well I think this issue is quite clear for me, and I feel able to showm how
things work for those who wants to help, here in Brazil.

Thank you very much for your help.

2012/5/20 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima
> <paulo.s.lima@varekai.org> wrote:
> > 2012/5/20 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
> >
> >> Please Paolo,
> >>
> >> What does this refer to:
> >>
> >>   "Do you need to fill a form when you decide to help a friend
> >>    or someone unknown? Most of people don't think they need.
> >>    So, some of us will submit their requests for contributors.
> >>    Some will not."
> >>
> >> I have no idea how this relates to the Apache OpenOffice project and
> those
> >> communities that adopt, share and advocate use of the software.
> >>
> >>
> > Ok. Let me try to explain again. Maybe the language barrier could be
> making
> > me diffiicult to do that.
> >
> > 1- When OpenOffice.org were living, we had a great and promising
> community
> > in Brazil.
> > 2 - In that time, we had not to fill any kind of form to contribute and
> to
> > be accepted as a contributor. Everyone was watching what we were doing
> and
> > that was enough.
> > 3 - I don't know if you are aware about what has happened to brOffice.org
> > NGO. It's a long and disgusting story I could tell you in another
> > opportunity. But that divided our community in those who had commercial
> > interests in brazilian market and those who contributed freely and had
> > their work stolen, when TDF was formed.
> > 4 - Suddenly, TDF was requesting that every person who wanted to be
> called
> > a "contributor" should fill a agreement request in order to be
> > "recognized". So we became to be concerned about that huge amount of
> people
> > who contributed and didn't want to fill a formal agreement to a foreign
> > organization that don't speak their language and has a lot of "channels",
> > many of them obscured.
> > 5 - In addition, people who we were fighting bacame key persons in TDF.
> One
> > of them became a "brazilian" member of the BoD, with 70 votes, when
> > brazilian accepted members in Brazil were less than 15 and most of them
> > didn't vote for him.
> > 6 - Facing all those issues, many of us got out. Some have gone to take
> > care of their own lives. Some were seeking some other project to
> contribute
> > for. We are the remains of those who were seeking a project to contribute
> > for.
> > 7 - Some of us are not intending to fill a form in order to became a
> > "contributor". They don't think it's necessary, and I don't think either.
> > despite of that they continue to do a great job marketing AOO, without
> your
> > knowledge. You don't know them, but we, brazilians, certainly do.
> > 8 - This discussion was already made in TDF mailing lists, without
> success
> > for us.
> > 9 - I don't want to bring a polemic issue like that here, because I know
> > you would ask more and more about it, and some answers cannot be exactly
> > what you want to see.
> > 10 - I am tired of discussing this issue. I had a wearing discussion with
> > TDF BoD once and, if brazilian people don't want to speak for themselves,
> > I'll be quiet also, because I am telling you what is/was happening, but I
> > am not a spokesman for anyone.
> >
> > And Rob... There's no "abstract vollunteers" up here. There are
> vollunteers
> > you don't know and who are doing a great job, despite the fact you don't
> > know them.
> >
>
> The issues are abstract until you say person X wants to do Y and
> cannot do it because of Z.
>
> Fill in X, Y and Z and then we have a problem we can solve.
>
> Something else to note:  There are different levels of participation
> for volunteers in an Apache project.  One can be a
> contributor/developers without signing the ICLA and without doing any
> other paper work.  A contributor can participate in any of our mailing
> lists, sign up for a wiki account (on MWiki and Confluence) can create
> a Bugzilla account, can enter translations in Pootle, can even fix
> bugs and submit patches.  So there is a lot that they can do without
> signing the ICLA.
>
> However, to get direct commit access to the source repository, used
> for the source code and the website, you need to be voted in as a
> Committer and sign the ICLA.  There are a few other permissions that
> we only give to Committers, like login rights for Pootle, admin access
> to servers, etc.
>
> So there should not a lot of bureaucracy needed for volunteers to be
> active with the project.  But if I am wrong (and I might be) then the
> best way to argue that point is with a specific example.
>
> -Rob
>
> >
> >
> >
> >>  - Dennis
> >>
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > --
> > Paulo de Souza Lima
> > http://almalivre.wordpress.com
> > Curitiba - PR
> > Linux User #432358
> > Ubuntu User #28729
>



-- 
Paulo de Souza Lima
http://almalivre.wordpress.com
Curitiba - PR
Linux User #432358
Ubuntu User #28729

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message