incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Resoli <roberto.res...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AO 3.4: Java Extension and HeadlessException
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 12:23:32 GMT
2012/5/15 Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org>:
> Hello,
>> what is used of Tomcat for inside AOO? Do you mean the
>> entire Tomcat API or
>> the Servlet part only?  I tried to find some info about
>> this, having
>> found Tomcat update
>> notice inside AOO 3.4 release notes. Cold you point me to
>> some documentation?
>>

> We only use the servlet API and its used for Apache Commons
> so its basically an extensions-only thing.

so, I guess, the presence of the servlet API  in AOO
is only there as a dependancy of Apache Commons, and "Tomcat"
is the particular implementation chosen of the servlet specification
(version 2.4, for tomcat 5.5.35 [1]).
Do you think this might be worthwhile a rewording in the Release Notes?

> I think Andors problem is unrelated though.

I am with you, Headless Exception is thrown where the  JVM cannot find
the native GUI peer needed by a GUI application.

In server side applications a solution is to run in "Headless Mode",
setting the System property "java.awt.headless" to "True",
both programmatically or from command line [2].
I dont'know if this holds also when the runtime is invoked inside AOO.

bye,
rob

[1] https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html
[2] http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/headless/