incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Nelson Marques <nmo.marq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux install issues
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 21:43:06 GMT
2012/5/19 Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2012/5/19 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:
>> > One enduring solution would be to break with the past and not use the
>> same file names for the binary bits, the same registry keys, etc., any
>> longer.  That would solve a few problems on Windows too.
>>

>> This would be a partial solution depending on what the internal
>> dependency generator from the RPM does when it creates the RPM's. And
>> would allow us not to deal with the Epoch (which is good, since Epoch
>> is a very dangerous thing).
>>
>> Where do I find documentation to build AAO from source so I can
>> repackage it and generate a YUM repository to provide as a proof of
>> concept that adresses the fixes wanted ?
>>

> Nelson --
>
> please  see the project "source" page for information:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html

I've already started up the process, there's cool references and
documentation on the sources. I'm currently building a few
dependencies in my home build system and eventually I will break
through.

Regarding the binary distribution from AOO, I've extracted all the
stuff from the RPMs and I'm trying to repackage the binary release in
a more efficient way. I've changed the names of the packages to:

 apache-openoffice-<COMPONENT>-<VERSION>-<RELEASE>.<ARCH>.rpm

ex:

apache-openoffice-base-3.4-1.1.nmarques.el6.x86_64.rpm
apache-openoffice-writer-3.4-1.1.nmarques.el6.x86_64.rpm
(...)

I've also changed the place where they install to:

/opt/apache-openoffice/aoo3
/opt/apache-openoffice/aoo

Now this filesystem change depending on how those binaries were build
will most likely bring issues... I've made a quick check on some of
the binaries and found out that RPATH is set to $ORIGIN ... Eventually
depending on what $ORIGIN is and if it can be manipulated, this might
work...

Once I'm done I'll share my achievements and eventually anything that
can be re-used to improve the distribution of this binaries, in case
there's interest.

Anything I need info I'll ping around :)

Thanks all.