incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Nelson Marques <nmo.marq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice RPMS
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 19:40:10 GMT
2012/5/19 Ariel Constenla-Haile <arielch@apache.org>:
> Hi Nelson,
>
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 05:32:13PM +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I've done beta upgrade to RHEL 6.3 yesterday and runned against a
>> problem, openoffice (one of the reasons why I subscribed RHEL) was
>> replaced by LibreOffice. I've picked up the archive with Apache
>> OpenOffice RPMS and set up a local repository to install Apache
>> OpenOffice. I've found a few problems:
>>
>>  1) Vendor distributed LibreOffice has Epoch defined (1:), uncool
>> stuff (Red Hat should know to do better than this). This literally
>> creates a nightmare for less experienced users who want to install
>> Apache OpenOffice since a few components will always be replaced by
>> LibreOffice (ex: openoffice,org-ure) RPMs. The only way to override
>> this is to explicitly blacklist libreoffice in yum.conf (exclude:
>> libreoffice*).
>
> This is a known issue since OpenOffice.org: you had to blacklist the
> distro version otherwise the URE package from the distro uninstalled
> upstream OOo. Now the same thing happends with LO.
>

>> I would suggest that Apache OpenOffice would distribute AAO RPMS with
>> Epoch defined to an absurd number... pretty much what Sun/Oracle do
>> with Java JDK which uses an epoch of 2000. This would most likely
>> obliterate bad practices from vendors which use Epoch.
>
> Not sure if this can be done without hacking EPM (the build environment
> does not use directly SPECs [expect for the desktop integration
> packages], but a program that generates the SPECs files).
>

>> According to a previous talk with someone who knows, once Epoch is
>> introduced in a package on Red Hat, it remains there till the end of
>> days... this to say... Unless you guys introduce some changes on
>> packaging the RPMs, vendors like Red Hat created an unholy mess for
>> their users who don't want to use LibreOffice.
>>

>> Extra Questions:
>>
>>  1) Is there a tarbal with pre-build binaries ? I would like to
>> repackage AOO to a more clean stuff for my personal usage (not
>> thinking on rebuilding it, though if it becomes necessary, not a
>> problem either).
>
> This can be generated by configuring with package format "installed":
> --with-package-format="installed rpm deb"
> but we have space problem to add even another package.
>
> You can try rpm2cpio:
>
> cd RPMS
> for i in *.rpm; do rpm2cpio $i | cpio -idv; done

I've done it in a different way:

cd en_US/RPMS ; for i in *.rpm ; do rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force
--root=/tmp/aao $i ; done

Then tarball the /tmp/aao/opt/ and we're cool... I'm currently
repackaging the whole thing in a way that doesn't raise conflicts with
RHEL. I'll make a private internal YUM repo in infra-structure to
serve AAO in a way we can dodge the Red Hat Epoch packages. I'm not
much of a fan of having to do manual operations in over 10K clients...
that's very unpleasant and uncool :)

--
Nelson Marques
// I've stopped trying to understand sandwiches with a third piece of