incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to get information out about non-Apache builds/packages
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 16:00:03 GMT
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do we want to do something to make folks aware of non-Apache packs for
> AOO
> > (3.4.0 and beyond).
> >
> > I don't know how this has been done in the past, if at all.
> >
> > Right now I know there is a download on freebsd.org, and Wolf has made a
> > Ubuntu build on ??? (I need to track this down)
> >

> > Any ideas on this in terms of collection and placement?
> >

> Some other Apache projects list derived products on their websites,
> with a suitable disclaimer.   See, for example what Subversion does:
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

ok, thanks for this bit of information...

> I think this is an important part of encouraging the ecosystem.  A
> parent should be proud of his children's accomplishment, and not be
> jealous.   So we want products based on AOO code to be popular, very
> popular.  That is what success looks like,
>
> But I don't think we need to search the web for products to list.  But
> if someone requests this we can discuss on a case-by-case basis.

I didn't mean to imply this. I meant dealing with the packagings we are
sort of already aware of from list members here.

> But where to put it?   It could be a link from the download/index.html
> to another page where we maintain that information.

That sounds like a good idea to me...maybe even as a separate sub-category
a la "Additional Resources" so it's easy to spot.

> We'd probably want to have some standards for how these are listed.
> Otherwise one vendor wants a 50x50 icon, and the next wants a 75x75
> and then the next wants 200x200 in order to show up better.   We need
> to be fair. So that probably means the listings need to meet some
> requirement for length and content.
>

> For example:
>
> 1) product must be based on Apache OpenOffice
>
> 2) If product uses Apache trademarks they must be used properly, i.e.,
> permission where needed, attribution,etc.
>
> 3) product listing per some specification (see Subversion for one style)

yes...

I'm making an assumption based on what you're saying here, that you think
it would be better put up as an actual web page, where we could review
entries, rather than put up this new page as a wiki page. Yes?

> -Rob
>

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
> >  And life has a funny way of helping you out
> >  Helping you out."
> >                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

 Helping you out."