incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 22:43:51 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> last week I gave a talk about OpenOffice on the LinuxTag conference in
> Berlin.
>
> The attendance was moderate and I got the bad first slot in the morning
> 10:00am after the LinuxTag party on Thursday ;-) It was an interesting
> interruption of my vacation.
>
> My main goal was to express that OpenOffice was never dead and the
> project have found a new home at Apache. I highlighted our achievements
> and of course our release as important milestone. Presenting our nice
> download numbers was also a pleasure for me ;-)
>
> I also expressed my view that
>
> OpenOffice.org = Apache OpenOffice
> go-oo = LibreOffice
>
> based on the facts that we own all rights on the name and the domains,
> the source code. And we have reserved and migrated the whole infra
> structure... And on www.go-oo.org you can see the relation to LibreOffice.
>
> And that not the complete community have moved to LibreOffice.
>
> But I have pointed out that it is my personal view ;-)
>
> I also pointed out that we don't want to compete with LibreOffice (also
> my personal opinion) and that our main focus and goal is to provide a
> good, stable, high quality, free and intuitive office application.
>
> A further point was that I tried to express that our users will decide
> in the future which office they will prefer and that we will focus on
> our users and their real demand.
>
> Based on the discussion after my talk it is clear that many people don't
> understand the split anymore and would appreciate if both projects would
> work together. But that is a political question that can't be answered
> easily. I think with the Apache license we provide a possible basement
> but the license question is much more complicate for some people.
>

> Juergen

Thanks for the update...I actually visited the LinuxTag site last week, but
didn't see that you were going to present! It seems like it was a
productive and engaging moment for Apache OpenOffice.

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain