incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Some of our contributors" page
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 16:45:30 GMT
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com>wrote:

> On May 25, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > On 2012-05-24, at 20:58 , Rob Weir wrote:
> >
> >> It would be great if we could keep this page up-to-date:
> >>
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
> >>
> >> New committers especially should add their info here.  It is good
> >> "first commit" you can make.   You can do it via SVN or using the CMS
> >> web interface:
> >>

> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/developer-faqs.html#how_do_i_edit_the_websites
> >
> > Would it make sense to have a standardized reminder of things to do? I'm
> thinking using Doodle or Taskforce (I think that requires money) or free
> reminder services (even OpenProjity). The idea would be, say, to draft a
> checklist of things to do and then be nagged by mindless electrons, all in
> a good cause.
> >
> > -louis
> >
> Agreed. A get up and running package would be helpful. This package could
> include task assignments.
>
> Kevin

I don't know anything about TaskForce or Doodle, but, I'm wondering if
having yet another app to deal with or place to go is really needed.
Please, there is the added "maintenance" issue.

Currently, even though the Project Planning area of the project wiki,

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning

lacks a bit of style I guess, I find it adequate and relatively easy to use
for task assignments. In my opinion, we made good use of it in the 3.4
roll-out, the release notes, and now, with enhancement to the download
script.

Some of my issues about what we have right now -- buildbot, and the pootle
server come to mind -- involve even knowing about them and knowing how to
use them.

Given the number of folks already involved in this project, I think
minimizing "stuff" we need to learn and where we need to go to get things
done is important.

So, I'm unconvinced that an additional mechanism would be an improvement to
productivity.

> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> -Rob

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain