incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO 2 million?
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 16:04:36 GMT
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> 3.4

> >> OK. I'll work with Don on this.    But after this I suggest we only
> >> note the downloads at 5 million intervals.  Otherwise we will spend
> >> too much time writing news articles and too little time improving
> >> OpenOffice.
> >>

> > this definitely makes sense...
> >
> > We might note that June 1 is the first anniversary OpenOffice with
> Apache.
> > Maybe the new DL stats announcement, if the timeline is right, might make
> > note of this and include a mention of how successful this new
> > environment/arrangement has been for OpenOffice. Just a thought.
> >

> It looks like we'll hit 2 million sometime tomorrow (Saturday).   If
> we wait until June 1st (Friday) we'll be around 2.5.  But announcing
> on Friday is not good for getting press attention.  And if we wait
> until the next week, June 4th, then we'll almost be at 3 million.
>
> So....  maybe we just make a smaller announcement, via
> ooo-dev/ooo-users and social media for the 2 million mark, when we
> actually hit it.  Then for the larger Symphony announcement we also
> note the 1 year achievement as well as give an updated download count,
> 2.5 or 3.0 million, depending on when that is ready for release.

+1 on this.

I think this approach would certainly steer us in the "future development"
direction and a bit away from tooting our own horn. Not that I think the
latter is a bad thing, but, it would be better to prevent the "flash in the
pan" business mentioned by Louis.

As for the new climbing numbers -- well maybe some folks have been reading
reviews and wondering what AOO is all about. I wouldn't be surprised if
some of the latest downloads were from "new" customers.